Monday, December 13, 2010

Sir Paul

When I woke up less than a week ago on Dec. 8th, I knew there was an important milestone connected to that date. Yep, it was that day, 30 years ago, that I cried in my mama’s arms because some dumbass shot one of my heroes, John Lennon. It blows my mind that it’s been that long since then and that through it all Paul has carried and on, not that he shouldn’t mind you, but that he sounds so amazingly no less for the wear. His 67 year old ass proved it even more tonight on XM radio. It was a celebration of XM’s 20 millionth subscriber. And good on’m, I really love having XM. You can get damn near anything on it. So here’s how tonight’s LIVE show went down by Sir Paul and his amazing band! They started things off about 8:15-ish with MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, followed by:
JET
DRIVE MY CAR
ALL MY LOVIN’ (Paul played the SHIT outta the bass on that one!)
1 AFTER 909 (my spelling, don’t like it?!...just wait!)
LET ME ROLL IT (an OakTeam practice fav)
FOXY LADY (huh? Yep…instrumental)
LONG AND WINDING ROAD (did NOT suck!)
1900&85
MAYBE I’M AMAZED (complete with wrong chord/start over!)
BLACKBIRD (who knew it was about the civil rights movement?!)
I’M LOOKING THROUGH YOU (Paul still on acoustic)
AND I LOVER HER (w/claves & bongos)
-some Russian song about PATRUSHKA?
DANCE AROUND TONIGHT (a newer one)
ELENORE RIGBY
HITCH HIKE (yep, Marvin’s song he did as a tribute to the venue, The Apollo Theater. The PA went out so he did it twice!)
BAND ON THE RUN (all parts)…crowd roars…
OBLA-DI OBLA-DA
BACK IN THE USSR…more crowd roars…
DAY IN THE LIFE (INTO…)
GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
LET IT BE
HEY JUDE (cool breakdown with only mellotron & drums and crowd singing along)

First encore:
WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME
17
GET BACK

2nd encore:
YESTERDAY (w/keyboard strings)
SCRAMBLED EGGS (just a verse)
SGT.PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (INTO…)
Oh yeah! Alright! Are you gonna be in my dreams tonight….
THE END (wacky but cool)

Well that was it…He didn’t make me think that like Brett Favre, maybe he should just go home and fade away, like an old pair of Wrangler jeans. Maybe Sir Paul has more than a few years left in him on stage. I couldn’t hear why not tonight!

2 comments:

roscoe said...

Bravo!

Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute.
I turned 15 on the morning of Dec 9th, when the news was, 'John Lennon was gunned down last night'-it was like a bad dream, from which you don't wake.
Still doesn't seem possible.
I've worn black every Dec 8th and 9th, since.
LCP