Wednesday, November 21, 2007

demons

My day started with some idiot passing me on the ON-ramp of the “Auto-Bunn” and also running into 2 other cars and then shooting ME the bird. I didn’t respond, his is coming if he’s gonna drive like that. I got to the hospital and talked to my still-sedated dad and told him what a beautiful day it was outside and that he needed to get outta there so we could go play some golf. He twitched a bit, I think he heard me. I’m startin’ the to miss the old guy. It’s like, come on dude...enuff’s enuff! I wanna hang out wid ya! Wake up and eat some turkey!
I'm hoping people aren’t NOT going to see David because he did this to himself. Yes, he did. David’s always been self-destructive. Some of that comes with being an artist and some of it may come with what he called “the gene”. He’s always said that he had the gene that made him an alcoholic. Mmmm…maybe some of that is true, there HAVE been studies that prove that there IS such a thing. I just think some people’s demons are stronger than others. Some folks don’t have demons, God bless’m. Consider yourself lucky! But everybody that I’ve ever known that had an ounce of artistic talent had a demon of SOME kind. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on mine although they DO get the best of me occasionally. When my Mom died I felt more vulnerable than ever to my demons and I think that’s what happened to David. His mom died earlier this year and it sent him over the edge. There were other things too, but he just had it in his mind that it was impossible for him to EVER completely quit drinking. And that’s why he is where he is today. And if I wasn’t raised by such great parents I would really be inclined to take it upon myself to re-enact the final scene of “One Flew Over the Coo-Coo’s Nest” right now. I really hate seeing him like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TA
Hope you're doin ok, and your Dad is improvin. Hospitals suck I hate em. Keep your chin up, you are a good man. Some day we will meet and I'm goin to buy you a damn good dinner. I'll drop you an email.

COOP