Saturday, July 17, 2010

executive decisions

I didn’t have much work lined up after getting back from the beach last week so I figgered it might be a good time to go downstairs and make some executive decisions about what junk down there could stay and what HAD to go. At the end of the day I had a full truck load to haul to the dump. There were a few more boxes to go through once I got back though, and one was FULL of old cassette tapes. There was some serious consideration given to each tape but at least 80 percent of them were tossed. Here’s an idea of what made the SAVE pile; Countless TA demos including co-writes with Al, The Woods- LIVE at The Brewery 11/29/85 and 3/28/86, The Woodpeckers (Woods plus Dan)- LIVE 10/4/85 (prolly our last show), LIVE at Moonshadow (ATL)and LIVE at Clawson’s (HAD to be the weekend we first played Battleship Chains), also The Woods -LIVE at The Cat’s Cradle 8/5/88 and 12/31/89. Other cool LIVE stuff included NRBQ in Tokyo and at The Chicken Box in ’73 AND at 7th St. in Durham, Don Dixon LIVE in Europe (me on drums), Rod and The Faces in ’73 on the BBC (stupidly enough, this tape has audio from an episode of ALL MY CHILDREN on the other side. See, The Knobs used to…oh nevermind…) and a Keith Richards LIVE in LA boot. Some other demo type stuff included some Woods recordings with titles like ONE DAY DEMO: NO FADES! STATE LAW! and HOOKED ON WAH WAH. Of course, I found the 6 song Satellites demos that Jeff Glixman recorded (the demo that got’m the deal!) and their promo of SALVATION AND SIN. I found some ruffs for YOU DON’T LIKE ME and the test pressing of The Woods ITS LIKE THIS, something called MEMPHIS IN THE 60’S (I remembered really liking that my friend Mike Piercy made me), The Titanics badass demo including the song “Gonna Drag You Down to my Level” (so hot!), 4 tapes from my Dad’s birthday jam we always had in late April (no tellin’ what in the hell you’ll hear on them!) and a couple of things I did for the family. There was a tape of “Will’s Balls”, a song I wrote for Will’s (probably 5th) birthday that included the chorus “playing with his balls, playing with his balls!...”. I also found the “Wedding March” that I recorded for our wedding with me playing everything. I also saved plenty o’ pre-recorded STORE BOUGHT cassettes (remember that!? When folks went to the store and BOUGHT SHIT!!!? …sorry): Dylan- BIOGRAPH 1, Beatles-HELP & SOMETHING NEW, Mott The Hopple-LIVE (One of the best live records EVER!), Dave Edmunds-TRACKS ON WAX 4, The TapeHeads SOUNDTRACK (The Woodpeckers had a song on it, Dan’s “Open All Night”),Stones-HOT ROCKS and THE ESSENTIAL CARL SMITH!...and that was about it. I was pretty proud of myself for all my organizing and such and then as I was looking for something in the studio portion of my basement I pulled out a drawer that was FULL of…yep…cassette tapes! Jesus! Looks like I got about another hundred to go! Where’s the trashcan, honey?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list man, makes me curious for the rest you actually did toss out. When i clean my garage i usually find some boxes with dirty dishes, a lot of empty glass and i think that when i digg deep even Jimmy Hoffa's body...Roland, holland

Moose said...

I'll bet you still have a crush on Jenny Gardner... No. Wait! Don't tell me you were hot for Liza!!! That Bi...

TA said...

No, it was Jenny! We actually met her once out in LA!

roscoe said...

Good luck TA!

halfpear said...

LOVE that Titanics' demo, had it for years.

Anonymous said...

Ah what a night. Jenny Gardner at Micelli's in North Hollywood. I seem to recall David went over and talked to her!

I've been back there a couple more times and no such sitings.

Harry

Anonymous said...

that 'no fades' tape is a good one. what ever happened to the 'woods box set'?

TA said...

we put the woods box set on hold until we could find somebody who didn't already have all the recordings! waaaay too many boots out there!

Unknown said...

I don't have any.
JL

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on Jenny. Cute as they come. Sadly the actress has had a lot of the same problems as Enloe. I knew one of the writers for CSI Miami. They wanted to keep her on the show but had to fire her because she just couldn't stay close to sober.