Thursday, December 29, 2005

collards

My sister and I get along pretty good. We never really fight. But one thing we WILL fight over is a bowl of Aunt Flossie's collards! If you are unfamiliar with collards, real, fresh, delectible collards then you don't know what you are missing.
Don't go to the store and look for a can of collards and think you're gonna even come close to finding out what they're all about because those are VILE! They have to be cooked fresh with the proper seasoning (I'm sure a hamhock was thrown in there but I'm not gonna ask..it wouldn't make any difference..) before you can say you've enjoyed this gift from heaven that we call collards.
Now I had to endure an hour of Aunt Flossie's nosey ramblings about how "sorry" certain family members were and such as that but it was worth every second of it. I got four quart size bags from her freezer and I cooked two of them on Christmas day.
Between me, my sister, one of her daughters and Grace we pretty much raked the bowl clean. You don't want dessert when you got collards...if you do..you just want MORE collards!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yeah!! Dem's good greens. You're right tho, they gotta be fresh, that canned stuff ain't fit for strays. I ate a mess of 'em at my in-law's on Crimmus Day.

TA said...

you know that shit is right!

Anonymous said...

hell, yay hamm hocks make the differnce

Anonymous said...

Olive oil, garlic, onion, pepper will make those collards reallllll tasty, ifin you wanna get real kinky, try italian dressing it`ll make you holla fo yo mamma !!! Jim from Indiany