Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Porter

I don't know why but today the famous story about Porter Wagoner popped into my head. I actually saw Porter at The Memorial Auditorium in Raleigh once a loooooooooooooooooooooong time ago. I guess I must'a been 10-ish when my Dad took me and his buddy and fiddle playing phenomenon, Stanley Fish to see him and his band. After the show we waited in the cold by his bus. He finally came out of the building and my Dad yelled something at him as he was stepping up to get in. Porter tuned around and yelled back at him "Man! When you're hot...you're hot!" That was worth the wait and I'm glad my Dad got to actually talk to one of his heroes...AND that I was there to witness. But now that I think back on it, I wonder if that was the same bus from the famous story. You know, the one where the band is trying to get in and the door is locked and they're all going on about how he was prolly in there nailing some hick chick. I think they were in Mississippi or somewhere. And sure enough the doors finally open and the white trash (and I mean that affectionately) sweet thang yells back at Porter "Thank you'unz for the peter!" They never let him forget that...and I bet she never forgot it either. He was rumored to be rather enormous in that respect.

No comments: