Thursday, December 23, 2010

DOOBIE IN MY FUNK!

About the only thing I love as much as my new iPad is my XM box. Some crazy lady I worked for a month or two ago gave it to me. It was her dad's and he died, which was why I was there painting. He lived in a small apartment that they built on to the side of their house for him. Anyway, satellite radio is great! I can listen to my "shows" as much or as little as I want to. There's tons'o music channels that I can listen to (for a little while) also. I'm split between the Underground Garage, the 70's channel and the Soul Town channel. I'm as disappointed as many of you were, when "Soul Street" got scratched during the merger of XM and Sirius. It was 50 times better than what's on now. I guess they had to pay extra for the GOOD soul songs! We used to do the late night rides to the next town listening to Soul Street and flipping out at some of the great stuff on there, some we'd never heard before. "Let's cover that one!" was often screamed out, but not with THIS channel! It downright sucks! I really kinda just listen to it for how bad it can be! Like today I was checking it out and there was a Curtis Mayfield song on and the bass was so damn outta tune I wondered aloud (even though no one was there) "who would approve that take?" So I continued on for another hour or so, putting up some white-boy soul, Spinners B-sides and meandering Barry White melodies when the straw that broke the painter's back came on, it was The Isley Brothers cover of the Seals and Crofts song, "Summer Breeze". Oh HELL NAW!! You wanna talk about sucking?!..OH.....My....GAWD! And the worst part about it is that it reminded me that I actually paid money for it when I was younger. I bought some "best of.." thing with it on there and I remember, even at 18 years old, I thought it was a REALLY REALLY REALLY bad idea. Don't put no "Doobie in my Funk!" (as Parliment Funkadelic put it), and make DAMN sure you don't put no damn SEALS AND CROFTS IN IT! NO! you can NOT make ANYTHING funky!


Sent from my iPad

No comments: