Monday, February 16, 2009

V-D day

 
Posted by Picasa
So, on gig days I’m mostly on shutdown mode, trying not to expend too much energy as my old ass is sure to need all I can get that night. About the most strenuous thing I will do is a walk or short bike ride just to get the blood going. Most of the day, I’m on the couch as I was this past Saturday before The Heavy Beat Outfit’s performance at Slim’s in downtown Raleigh. In the late afternoon I decided that it was time to dye the head again since I was gonna do it anyway before the video shoot coming up THIS weekend. So, I get my shirt off (not a pretty site these days) and start mixing and squirting the concoction onto my thinning hair and I'm taking an old comb and combing it all up into a gunky pile on top of my head when I suddenly get the idea that now would be a good time to start packing drum gear. It’s chilly outside but bare-chested I withstand the cold to load up the car. I also knew it was about time for the peacock to show up so I put his crackers out in the usual spot and sure enough I look up the street and here he comes. Just as he passes the group home next door, which houses criminals with 2 strikes and out of “get out of jail free” cards, one of them little bastards picks up a handful of pea gravel and throws it at him. Without thinking or caring of the consequences, I yelled at the kid at the top of my lungs “HEY!” He turned around to see this shirtless old man with a spikey hair dye doo on his head with steam coming out of his ears. “Don’t throw them rocks at him!!” He slumped and turned around and disapeared around the side of his temporary home. I think he got the message, and with a memorable image to go along, DON’T FUCK WITH THE PEACOCK!
 
Posted by Picasa
The gig itself, while not flawless had its moments of brilliance. Chip’s gotta a great voice and a great new record too. It’s produced by Roscoe so you know it’s gonna sound good. The one thing I’ll remember from this night though is just how damn DRUNK everybody there was. I don’t know if they had been out to dinner with their Valentine’s and had too much with their meal or what, but there was some DAMN DRUNK ASS MONKEYS up in the house FROM THE GIT-GO! Wow! I mean DRUNK drunk! Anyway, The OAKTeam is gonna do some more shows with Chip, even share a few spots down in Austin, TX at SXSW next month. Gonna be some more ignunce to talk about, I’m sure!

No comments: