Sunday, November 27, 2005

One week and counting..

Well, it's been a whole week since I took a damn drank. Ya gotta take a break every once in while, jeez! It was startin' to be like job!..and you know how I hate that! Except the difference with THIS job is that I had to pay to work at it, which really sucks! Especially when you add it up, two bottles of wine times 5 days a week plus a bottle or two of tequila, by that time you've spent $150. OK, then THAT times 52 weeks in the year(s). Shit! No wonder I ain't got a pot to piss in!
Too, it wasn't workin' for me spiritually or psychologically. I write a lot, by that I mean 100% more, when I'm not drinking. Not to mention, keeping in shape. It's so much easier to come home from work and pull a cork out of a bottle than it is to get on the bike (I have a Schwinn Airdyne that, when I feel like it, I'll do 5-7 miles a day on)...and ya can't keep that "girlish" rock star figure without some kind of exercise, especially with all that sugar in your body!
After gettin' past the first few days it has become a lot easier to stay sober. I'm really enjoying sleeping through the night and not waking up at 4:30 or 5 am when the alcohol wears off. Like anything though ya gotta take it one step at a time. And for me that it means one day at a time. (I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to take it an hour at a time and for that I am VERY thankful!) So every morning I have been waking up and saying "just for today..." Just for today..I'm gonna be good. That has been getting me through the day even though it implies that one day, though it doesn't have to be soon, I'm gonna "feel a drunk comin' on!" I'll deal with that later. Ya gotta celebrate birthdays (everybody's) and holiday's (Arbor Day, Secretary's Day, April Fool's Day, Columbus Day, Boxer Day..oh wait!..that's Canada..), right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you. Keep it up. We all have our own ways of dealing with life's ups & downs. One of mine is listening to music and you'll never know what your music has done for me. Thanks for what you have and
will do for my mental health therapy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,

Next time you come over to Holland I'll have a nice cabernet sauvignon waiting for you ;-)
Maybe you should stay sober until then! ;-)

Gerben

Ace said...

Heh, Sobriety is for quitters. It takes a real man to bash that liver day after day. lol........