Friday, July 15, 2005

song origins- I Love You Period

Back in the very early '90's I was helping my Dad with his painting business between gigs. It's something I've always done in my spare time and I have since his retirement taken on a long list of my own (and might I add: very happy) clients. But I decided long ago that if I DID ever do it for a living I would do it by myself. I watched my Dad for years stress over his employees. They would either not show up or if they did, they might be drunk. But I wanted to work by myself for a couple of other reasons too. One was that I needed to make my own hours, get off whenever I wanted or needed to be off. The other reason is that I didn't want to listen to somebody else's bullshit all day long! Working with my Dad, there was always someone who would ride my ass or get on my nerves. (I'm sure none of you have anyone like that at YOUR work!) Well, one of these people happened to be my Dad's girlfriend at the time, a B.I.T.C.H. And every fourth week it was hell on Earth being around her, obviously corresponding with her menstrual cycle. I was priming a kitchen at the seminary in Wake Forest when we all had to endure one of these weeks. The fumes of the oil based Kilz I was using started to get to me....and she was REALLY getting to me! So I cynically said to myself "I love your period!". Of course, from there it went to "I love you period" and the words of the story pretty much fell straight outta my mouth in order as I scrambled to write'm down that fast. A year or so later Dan Baird and Bill Lloyd produced a six song demo for The Woods with money we'd gotten from RCA. When RCA passed on us (we were shocked and heartbroken...NOT!), Dan calls me and says, "What would you think of me covering your song I LOVE YOU PERIOD?" I said, "Let me think about it for a..YES!" Needing more songs for his first solo record, I loaded up the truck with some more stupid-ass ideas and hauled'm to Kentucky. We rocked like hell in a building out back of his house that we affectionately referred to as "The Rock House". Many of the songs that didn't end up on Dan's "Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired" were used in their "Rock House" form on his "Out of Mothballs" CD.













whassupTA

No comments: